HMIS data standards have been established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to allow for standardized data collection on homeless individuals and families across systems.
The 2017 HMIS Data Dictionary and the 2017 HMIS Data Standards Manual are the documentation of requirements for the programming and use of all HMIS systems and comparable database systems, effective October 1, 2017 through September 30, 2019. The FY 2020 Data Standards will be effective October 1, 2019.
The HMIS Data Manual supports data collection and reporting efforts of HMIS Lead Agencies, CoCs, HMIS Lead Agencies, HMIS System Administrators, and HMIS Users to help them understand the data elements that are required in an HMIS to meet participation and reporting requirements established by HUD and the federal partners. The HMIS Data Dictionary is designed for HMIS vendors and HMIS Lead Agency system administrators to identify the data elements required in an HMIS and understand the function and specific use of each element by the appropriate federal partner.
FY 2020 Resource Links
- 2020 HMIS Data Dictionary Version 1.4 (PDF)
- 2020 HMIS Data Standards Manual – Version 1.4 (PDF)
- 2020 Instructions for Mapping Existing HMIS Data to Current HMIS Data Standards (XLSM)
- Note: This is a macro-enabled Excel workbook (.XLSM). After you download and open this file, you will see a warning message in yellow at the top of the workbook warning you about the macros. You must click “Enable content” to allow the file to function properly. Persons using assistive technology may not be able to fully access information in this file. For assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2020 CSV and XML Schemas (HTML)
- Data Entry for FY 2020 Data Standards Update (PDF)
For more resources, please visit the HUD Exchange link: https://www.hudexchange.info/resource/3824/hmis-data-dictionary/